Written by: Brandi Monasco
Do you suffer from dry, itching, rough, or chapped skin?
Dry skin is something that everyone deals with at one point or another in their life. Dry skin is caused when your skin loses its moisture, usually when you are out in cold, dry air. It’s bothersome, it’s annoying and it can be downright unsightly!
Symptoms Of Dry Skin Include:
- Rubbing or scratching
- Roughness of the skin
When it comes to dry skin, there are many reasons why this could be happening. It could range from medical issues such as eczema or psoriasis to being a symptom of dehydration. Whatever it is, dry skin is very common and very easy to treat!
The first step in taking care of dry skin is to replace the moisture that was lost and protect your skin from losing any more water.
Some of the top methods to do this include:
1. Soaking skin in warm (not hot!) water for 5-10 minutes.
2. Gently blotting your skin dry, do not rub.
3. Applying a thin layer of coconut oil.
Soaking in the warm water will help your skin replace lost water. Applying coconut oil to your skin helps in preventing moisture loss. The coconut oil contains saturated fats that keep your skin moisturized and prevent moisture loss through the pores in your skin.
If you find yourself suffering with dry skin, here are a few more tips that might help you:
- Shower every other day
- Avoid hot showers
- Drink plenty of water to stay hydrated (6-8 glasses per day)
- Limit your intake of alcoholic or caffeinated drinks
- Avoid rubbing or scratching your skin. Instead, wear cotton and natural fiber clothing
- Don’t wear woolen or rough clothing
- Protect your skin from the winter air
- Use a humidifier
It is also important to make sure that you choose the right kind of moisturizer for your skin. Look for lotions that contain grape seed oil and antioxidants that can help keep the moisture locked in your skin. You can also look for moisturizers that contain lactic acid or urea as they also help keep your skin hydrated.
BONUS! This homemade Honey Cinnamon Sugar Scrub is also great for exfoliating AND locking in moisture!
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons of raw honey
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1. Whisk the coconut oil until it is whipped. This should take only a few minutes.
2. Add the sugar, honey and cinnamon and mix together until combined.
3. Scoop your new sugar scrub into a lidded container.
The sugar in this scrub acts as an exfoliant that can help remove dead skin cells from dry skin while the coconut oil helps to lock the moisture in your skin. The honey is full of antioxidants that keep your skin looking great and the cinnamon is a great remedy for anyone that suffers from eczema.
Give this scrub a try and let us know how it goes! Do you have a favorite natural remedy for helping dry skin? Please share with us in the comments below!
Source: Cawood & Associates, Frank C. Natural Health Secrets Encyclopedia. Peachtree City: FC&A, 1991. Print.
Latest posts by Brandi Monasco (see all)
- Why You Need To Have Peppermint Essential Oil Handy - May 14, 2016
- Don’t Be Fooled By Labels: Guide To Determine Top Quality Coconut Oil - May 13, 2016
- You CAN Actually Shower Too Much! - May 13, 2016